Southwark is an ethnically diverse K-8 school of over 800 students located in South Philadelphia. We are split into two environments: a K-5 “Lower School” and a Grade 6-8 “Upper School”. In the 2017-2018 school year, over half of our students were English language learners.
Southwark Elementary School promotes a safe and supportive environment that respects the diverse student population and the community it serves. The purpose of the school is to educate the whole child and to challenge students to reach their fullest potential in all academic areas in order to become productive members of society. Southwark Elementary School strives to provide a rigorous, standards-driven curriculum that is student-centered and geared towards developing critical thinking skills.
Southwark Elementary School believes that:
- All students can learn and develop the skills needed to succeed as creative thinkers and become future decision makers, problem solvers, and lifelong learners.
- All students are capable of learning and achieving to their fullest potential.
- All aspects of the school’s organization, curricular, and extra-curricular activities should be student centered and designed to accommodate individual learning styles.
- Setting high expectations for all students lead to quality performance.
Southwark’s Student Belief:
- Students are the most important people in the school.
- Students are not an interruption of our work — they are the purpose of it.
- Students are deserving of the most courteous and attentive treatment.