Code of Conduct
Southwark follows the School District of Philadelphia Code of Conduct.
The mandatory uniform for all Kindergarten to 5th grade Southwark students is:
- Bottoms: khaki or navy blue pants, shorts, or skirts
- Solid navy sweat pants can be worn on your child’s gym days
- Tops: solid navy blue or yellow polo shirt or t-shirt
- Non-Southwark logos or designs are not permitted
- Official Southwark uniform shirts are available (sold at school but not required)
- Sweaters: solid navy blue or yellow sweatshirts or sweaters
The mandatory uniform for all 6th to 8th Grade Southwark students is:
- Bottoms: student choice of pants, shorts, or skirts
- Solid sweat pants can be worn on your child’s gym days.
- Tops: official Upper School light blue polo shirt (sold at school and required)
Additional Procedures for all students:
- Hoodies are not permitted to cover the head while in the school building and classrooms
- Hats and other non-religious head coverings are not to be worn in the building at any time
- Open-toe shoes are not permitted due to safety reasons
- Shorts must be knee-length
- Shirts must be waist-length
Arriving to school out-of-uniform is in violation of school policy. Families will be contacted when their child comes to school out-of-uniform, and students in grades 5-8 will be given a 30 minute detention at the end of the school day each day they are out-of-uniform. If families are in need of uniform assistance for any reason, please contact your child’s School Counselor.
Under Pennsylvania law, all students between the ages of 6 and 18 must attend school every day. This law also includes students who are five years old once they are enrolled in kindergarten.
Students sometimes have to miss school! If a student misses school, the parent/caregiver must submit an excuse note to the school within three days of the student’s return to school (please note that a doctor’s note is required for 3+ days absent due to illness). Valid excuses include:
- Death in the family
- Required court attendance
- Educational tours or trips with prior approval
- Religious holidays
- COVID-19 quarantine
If a student misses school, we have multiple options for excusing absences:
- Notes: There is a black mailbox hanging alongside the front door of school. This mailbox is available for absent notes 24/7.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Google Form: https://bit.ly/SouthwarkAttendance
After 6 unexcused absences, we will invite the parent/caregiver to attend a School Attendance Improvement Conference where one of Southwark’s counselors will create an attendance improvement plan along with the parent/caregiver. At this time a family may also be referred to work with our Attendance Case Manager who can provide resources to help improve a student’s attendance.
After 10 unexcused absences, the student may be referred to Truancy Court. At that time a truancy provider will contact the parent/caregiver in order to create a plan and provide resources so the student comes to school more often.
If you have any questions, please call the main office at 215-400-8280.
Cell Phone / Electronic Device Policy
Students in grades 5-8 are asked to turn in their devices at the beginning of the day for storage. At the end of the day, devices are returned to students.
If a student brings a cell phone or electronic device to school and it is observed in use during school hours, the device will be confiscated and returned only to the parent or guardian of the student.
Graduation and Promotion Policy
Southwark School follows the Graduation and Promotion Requirements of the School District of Philadelphia. Please look at the Office of Curriculum, Instruction, & Assessment website for the most up-to-date marking information.